Can a Gas Fireplace Efficiently Warm My House?

November 10, 2022
Fireplace in Belleville, ON

The long, cold winters in Belleville, ON often result in expensive heating bills. When you’re looking for a way to stay warm and save money, you might wonder if a gas fireplace could efficiently heat your home. In cold climates like Belleville’s, your fireplace serves as a supplement to your furnace, but it won’t be able to efficiently heat your entire house by itself. Here’s what it can do.

Gas Fireplace Energy Efficiency

A direct-vent gas fireplace offers about 70% efficiency. This means that 70% of the natural gas turns into heat for your home, and the other 30% is a byproduct of combustion that ventilates to the outdoors. An existing masonry fireplace can be retrofitted with a gas-burning insert and achieve this same level of energy efficiency.

Radiant Heat From Gas Fireplaces

Gas fireplaces produce radiant heat. If you are near the fire, this makes you feel warmer faster than the convective heat produced by a furnace. When you spend time in the same room as the fireplace, you’ll warm up in less time. If you can close the door of the room where the fireplace is located, the room will reach a comfortable temperature in less time than it would take your furnace to achieve the same temperature.

Using a Gas Fireplace for Zoned Heating

To gain the biggest advantage from the efficiency of a gas fireplace, use it for zoned heating. When you turn on the fireplace and spend several hours in that room, you can turn down the thermostat to your furnace and focus on this room. This allows you to keep the heat in a single location while saving money on the overall home.

If you’re not in need of gas fireplace services today, we also offer heat pumps, water heaters and ductless heating and cooling systems. Our air conditioner and heating maintenance, repair and installation services ensure year-round comfort. If you’re a business owner in Belleville, turn to us for commercial refrigeration services. For more information about gas fireplaces and efficient home heating, reach out to us at Quinte Air Supply today.

company icon